Dehumidifier Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need a dehumidifier?
A Royal Sovereign Dehumidifier will improve the air quality in your home and help you feel more comfortable by maintaining your preferred humidity level. This is done by removing allergy triggers such as dust mites, mold, and mildew that thrive in moist environments. It can also help reduce musty odors in places that are muggy and damp such as basements and crawl spaces.
Some signs you may need a dehumidifier:
*Wet stains on walls or ceiling
*Room feels stuffy
*Mold is visible
During what time of the year should I run my dehumidifier?
It all depends on the level of humidity control you need. It is common to run the dehumidifier through the spring-fall, with heavy use during the summer if it is hot, muggy, and humid. This can vary on the area/region you live in.
* If you live in a northern climate and it gets cold in the winter, the air typically gets dry, so you do not need to run it all year-round. During this time, it is best to unplug and stow away the unit as colder weather could do harm to the appliance itself. Royal Sovereign Dehumidifiers should not be operated in temperatures under 41°F to prevent the coils from freezing and causing damage.
* If you live in a southern climate that does not get cold in the winter, you will need to monitor when to use the dehumidifier throughout the year. If you use an air conditioner all year-round it can limit the need for a dehumidifier, as A/C naturally lowers humidity because it cycles air through its condenser and evaporator coil. If it is hot outside and humid, an air conditioner alone could be very effective, however a dehumidifier is useful in when the temperature is not that high, but the humidity is.
* In specific locations that are prone to dampness such as cellars or basements, you may have to run the unit all year-round.
How does my Royal Sovereign dehumidifier work?
A fan pulls the room air into the dehumidifier over two sets of refrigerant-filled coils, one cool and the other warm, wringing out moisture from the humidity along the way. The water that condenses out of the air then drips into a bucket reservoir. When the reservoir is full you will need to manually empty the unit or continuously drain the excess water with a drainage hose.
Is it normal for my unit to run continuously?
If your dehumidifier is running constantly and the water bucket must be emptied frequently, then yes this is normal, there is just a lot of humidity. If the unit is running continuously and is not filling up at least once a day, there may be a defect with the unit, or a dehumidifier is not needed for the specific room.
My drain hose does not fit.
Please locate the drainage port (typically on the back of the unit) and ensure that the correctly sized hose is attached. If you do not have a drainage hose, please contact Royal Sovereign Customer Service to verify if a hose should have been included with the purchase of your specific model.
NOTE: The thread standard for garden hoses in the US and its territories is known as GHT or "garden hose thread" which has an outer diameter of 11/16 inches (1.0625 inches or 27.0 mm) and a pitch of 11.5 TPI.
Why does my dehumidifier ice or frost up?
The coils you see on the back of your dehumidifier are the evaporator coils. Dehumidifiers remove moisture from the air by chilling these coils and allowing the moisture in the air to condense on them. If the room temperature is too cold, the moisture can freeze.
To remedy this problem, you can try any of these:
* Warm up the room the dehumidifier is in.
* Put the dehumidifier on a sturdy table (the room air is coolest near the ground).
* Turn the unit off until the room warms up.
Why does my unit run, but no air blows out the front?
Your dehumidifier has a circulating fan that draws the room air over the coils. If there is no air movement out the front or back of the unit, the fan motor may be burned out or stuck, or the fan blade may be broken. If so, you need to replace the fan motor or the fan blade. Please contact Royal Sovereign Customer Service for replacement needs.
Why does the fan keep running even though the compressor is off?
This is normal for the Royal Sovereign dehumidifier, it is to keep air circulating throughout the room.
What does an error code mean?
Please consult the troubleshooting guide of your manual for a list of error code descriptions.